The primary objective in genealogy is to identify all ancestors and descendants in a particular family tree and to collect personal data on them. As a minimum, this data includes the individual’s name and the date/location of birth, marriage, and death. In order to support research by other genealogists, this data is often published on Internet genealogy websites.
Most of us would prefer not to have to worry about our personal data but, in this day and age, we must use caution to prevent misuse of the information. Identity theft and credit fraud are the worst problems. There is concern that information distributed to distant relatives or put on a genealogy websites makes it easier for unscrupulous individuals to commit invasions of privacy or other frauds. However, the personal information that the identity thieves and credit fraud perpetrators want are full names, social security numbers, dates and places of birth, current occupation/employment data, and bank/credit card account numbers. One or two facts alone (e.g., your name and/or your mother’s maiden name) are not enough information to cause damage.
Names and Relationships
Many genealogy programs can suppress the names of living individuals and substitute “living” or “still living”. I designed this website so it does not show the names of living individuals. If you are aware that someone is living and his or her name is shown here, please let me know, so I can remedy the situation as soon as possible.
Photographs of living individuals are considered personal data and are normally suppressed. However, if the individual so chooses, a photograph can be tagged as “always visible”. Before any photograph can be included in this website, permission is obtained from the owner of a photograph (U.S. Copyright Law). Permission is also obtained from living individuals in a photograph if,
- they are identified in the caption/description or
- they can be identified through deductive reasoning using names/relationships found elsewhere.
The statement “Used with Permission” after the owner’s name identifies compliance with these requirements.
Personal Data Suppression
To insure the privacy of living individuals, our internet genealogy website always suppress the personal data of living individuals from viewing by the general public. Personal data includes, but is not limited to, birth/marriage dates/locations, photographs, notes, and biographies.
Personal Data Security
Original data given to me in trust (personal information, e-mail/street addresses, phone numbers, etc.) is not provided to others unless your approval is first obtained. You should be aware, however, that most of this information is public domain and may be readily available to others using Internet search engines (e.g., Yahoo People Search, Google.com, Birthday.com).
This site is owned and operated by Patricia Stanard. The term “you” will refer to any person viewing the website content using the URL https://mygenealogyobsession.wordpress.com.
My Genealogy Obsession website contains copyrighted material and other proprietary information including, but not limited to, text, photos, and graphics. The entire contents of this site, including the title logo, are copyrighted as a collective work under the United States copyright laws and all rights are reserved.
All of the pages located within the domain https://mygenealogyobsession.wordpress.com, are accessible to the public for free without charges or fees of any kind, with the exception of access to data on living persons which is not allowed on the website.
The information on this site is intended to be freely used by researchers for personal, non-commercial use that is not meant to generate income or money.
All of the transcriptions and other research located on this site have been undertaken by myself, owner of the website (unless otherwise indicated).
For those who wish to use this information for personal, noncommercial purposes, I ask only that you give credit by citing the page url address (http://…) that contains the information you are using, and/or the name and address of the main page of the website, for example:
“My Genealogy Obsession,” https://mygenealogyobsession.wordpress.com
Note: It is expressly forbidden for anyone to charge for access to these pages, or to provide the information contained on them to anyone for any kind of fee or charge, or to use them in a commercial manner.
If you have been charged a fee to access these pages, or know of a site that is doing so, or that is reproducing information from this site for a fee, please contact me using the link at the bottom of the page.
- The My Genealogy Obsession website is for the personal use of the family members listed on the website. Use by others is limited to the purpose of genealogical research. The content of this site can not be used for any sort of unsolicited mail or commercial purposes.
- Individual images may be copied by family members for their personal use. General distribution, including use on other websites, is prohibited by copyright law unless permission is obtained from the owner of the photo, living individuals in the photo (if identifiable), and the site owner.
- Biographies and documents may be copied by family members for their personal use. General distribution (including use on other websites) is prohibited by copyright law unless permission is obtained from the site owner.
- In the event of permitted copying or distribution of copyrighted material, no changes in, or deletion of, author attribution or copyright notice shall be made. You acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights by downloading copyrighted material.
- You agree to give appropriate credit for any material from this website that you use in a written document, genealogical database, or website of your own. You agree to include a link to our site on any genealogical web page of yours that makes use of the content on this site.
Every effort has been made to ascertain the accuracy of the data. However, since others provided some of the information without documented sources, there is the possibility of errors. Patricia Stanard and the My Genealogy Obsession website cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any content or material found on our site or linked to our site. Furthermore, you agree not to hold Patricia Stanard or the My Genealogy Obsession website responsible for any issues that may arise from the inaccuracy of the content on this site.
This database contains information that has been proved as well as information that is speculative and in the process of being proved or disproved. Do not take everything you find here (or in any other online database) as gospel truth.