Sorry I have been MIA for the past few months. It was due to my participation in ProGen15 study group. The assignments for these past two months have been really tough and required determiniation and focus to complete them. I will be going into detail about this program and the required assignments in a post scheduled for sometime this weekend. Now that I am more free to post more regularly, I will continue with the topics scheduled in my editorial calendar.
Today I will start with my monthly aspirations. Here I will be listing my goals to complete this month. On every Saturday, I will be posting my Saturday Updates and let you know how my goals are coming along. Now, without further ado…
My Aspirations for the month of November is as follows:
- Writing – My plan is to keep up with my editorial calendar and post more frequently. I also have a few other posts about my journey to solidifying my family’s history as well but they are not currently ready for posting.
- Research – I have brought my dad’s family research a lot farther along than I had previously thought. I was thrilled to realize that accomplishment. I will also be writing to the folks in a local pairish in Zacatecas, Mexico so that I can get the vital documents for several people on my dad’s side of the family.
- Learning – Well I don’t think I could take on any more formal learning opportunities until I am done with ProGen15. If I did, I feel that I would be streching myself thin. However, I can plan for the future and I think after ProGen15, I will start with the NGS Home Study course (graded). It isn’t cheap but they do have a scholarship that I could apply for. It wouldn’t hurt to try, right?
- Organizing – For an uber organized, type A personality (yes I have my DVD movie collection alphabetized by title), multi-tasking mom, I am not currently organized with my filing system for my genealogy research. I need to tame that monster. (Oh and yes, I am usually that uber organized, type A, multi-tasking mom. At 3 1/2 weeks to go, I gave my daughter her Monthly, Week before, Day Before, and Day Of to do List for our vacation at the end of the month. Yes, she did roll her eyes at me too!)
So for this month, this is my aspiration to complete these goals! So what do you have on your list? Comment love is always appreciated!!! :-) Have a fabulous day!
Well this month starts another chapter in getting the information for my submission for the NGS Family History Writing Contest.
This month is my interviewing month. This is the month that I planned on interviewing several family members. The first on my list, is my Aunt. She will be 100 years young in April and I am anxious to interview her. Although she does speak English, I will have my dad, her younger brother, there at the interview. I know that she is more comfortable not only having my dad around, but also speaking Spanish. I am hoping that she reveals a lot of stories of her immigration to this country and of my grandparents when the family was first starting out.
The other items on my aspirations list is the following:
Indexing: I have signed up and been approved as a 1940 Census Ambassador. I am excited to help create the index list for the 1940 Census. You can help too. Just click on the badge above and sign up to help. We need all the help we can get to get the index to the public sooner.
Brickwalls: Last Saturday I broke through my brickwall that I had with my submission for the writing contest. You can read about it here. Now that I know my grandmother’s correct full name. I need to research her possible parents and her possible siblings. In order to do this, I will need to pull some microfilm from the Family History Library and go through them to find the siblings baptism records. I also need to still search for and find the baptism record for my grandmother as well.
So those are my aspirations for this month. What are you planning for the month of March?
For my February aspirations, I will be starting to focus on the 3rd generation of my NGS Family History Writing Contest submission family. Although it includes my aunts and uncles, my focus cannot be my dad (according to NGS contest rules). Instead, I will be focusing on one of my uncles. Although I have some information, I need to get my copies of documents, verify the information I do have and also interview my aunts and uncles.
So for the month of February, my focus will be to verify the information I have on my dad’s siblings and to fill in any gaps I may have. Wish me luck!
I am sorry this is a few days late, but better late then never. Yesterday I sat down at lunch and worked on what I would aspire to complete this month. Well I pretty much ended up planning my monthly aspirations for the rest of the year.
When you make a goal or resolution, one way to complete it is to break it down into smaller projects. This helps to keep it managable and keep you focused on getting it done. So, one of my goals for 2012 is to enter and hopefully win the NGS Family History Writing Contest. You can read about my goals for 2012 here under contest.
The prize of this contest, as it is listed on their website, is as follows:
- The person who compiles the most outstanding family history will receive an expense-paid trip to the next NGS Family History Conference. The benefits include travel to and from the conference, hotel accommodations, conference registration fee, and a complimentary banquet ticket.
- Manuscripts meeting the requirements will be submitted to the editors of the National Genealogical Society Quarterly (NGSQ) for consideration and will be placed in the NGS Library. (Read more about the contest here.)
It would be wonderful to be able to win this prize and possibly be published in the NGSQ! So I will be submitting my entry before the December 31, 2012 deadline and hopefully win an expense paid trip to the NGS Conference of the States in Las Vegas, NV in 2013!
With this contest as one of my goals for 2012, I definately needed to break it down into smaller projects. So part of my Monthly Aspirations for January 2012 is to complete the following:
- Prepare and organize the information I do have on my Luna family line and determine which generations I will submit.
- Analyze the information I do have and determine what information I still need to find out.
- Prepare a research plan that lists what I still need to find out and determine the time frame to get it done, the repositories to visit and the people I need to talk to.
In addition, I also have the following monthly asipriation that are not related to the NGS Family History Writing Contest. They are as follows:
- Writing – Keep up with the Editorial Calendar that I posted about last year (read it here), and post the scheduled items as I had listed on the calendar.
- Indexing – Index a minimum of 10 pages this month. This, hopefully, should be easy to do. If I keep to the 10 pages a month goal, I will accomplish my goal for 2012 of indexing 100 pages by October!
- Research on how to breakthrough brickwalls. Watch webinars, read books, talk to other genealogist who broke through theirs, but I need to break through my Vicenta Luna wall!
So, this is a lot to complete this month but I am confident that I will get it done. I hope you get your to-do list done this month!
This is a busy month for me, its not only my one year wedding anniversary, but my niece will be getting married the day before my anniversary! I wish her and her new husband many years of anniversaries to come!
I have researched my father-in-law, Robert Harold Stanard and the next thing on my list of to do’s is to create a timeline and a report. I currently have so much information that it is starting to overwhelm me. So I am a firm believer of doing a timeline to help straighten things out, when I am overwhelmed with information. It really helps to see what you have and find out where you need to go look next. However, I want to start working towards being a bit more professional in my genealogy research, so I will also write up a client report on Robert Harold Stanard. I will be writing it as if I am giving it to my husband (which I will do) and it will help me to work as a professional genealogist and focus where I will be researching next.
Another aspiration will be to post more to my blog. The editorial calendar will be helpful with that, but I also have some other posts I need to do. I had another trip to the L.A. Superior Court – Archives and obtained two divorce petitions and judgements and I would like to write about that. I would like to post that sometime this week.
Last but not least, I need to make another trip to the LA Family History Center. I ordered some microfilms which might have information on my paternal grandparents and great-grandparents birth, marriage and death and I need to look at them and see what information they hold for me.
That’s what I have so far. What do you aspire to complete this month on your genealogy??? Post a comment and let me know, I would love to read it!
Have a great day!!