I know that I’m late with this posting, but Tonia Kendrick at Tonia’s Roots has started a series called 31 Weeks to a Better Genealogy Blog. I have participated in one here and there and decided to participate in this posting. On September 18th Tonia post dealt with developing an Editorial Calendar. She stated that by developing an editorial calendar, it would help by better organizing my time and that I would not wonder what I am going to write about. I also agree with Tonia in that the editorial calendar could give consistency to my blog.
Although Tonia uses a spreadsheet to keep track of her editorial calendar, I am more of a visual-type of girl. I just found online a blank calendar page. I printed it out and wrote my blog information on it along with the publishing schedule of posts that I would like to write about including my weekly and monthly series as well.
So here is my editorial calendar:
As you can see, I have postings that will be on a certain days every week, while the others posts are monthly postings. I did make a few changes from what I have been doing. For example, I will still be doing my Monthly Asiprations near the first of the month, but I decided to post my updates weekly instead of at the end of the month. This is because I felt that my monthly udates were getting long. In fact, the last one had to be cut into two different posts. So I felt that by making my updates at the end of the week (Saturdays), it wouldn’t be so long of a post.
Here is a desciption of what I will be writing about:
- Monthly Aspirations (1st Sunday of the Month) – My genealogy goals for the upcoming month.
- Military Monday (2nd Monday of the Month) – Stories of my military ancestors and any military story related to genealogy.
- Thankful Tuesday (Every Tuesday) – All things I am thankful for including genealogy items.
- Wordless Wednesday (3rd Wednesday of the Month) – Photo posting only of my ancestors with a short description of who is in the picture.
- Thursday’s Teachings (2nd Thursday of the Month) – All things genealogy edcation related. This includes my genealogy education goals, what I have already completed, and highlighting one at a time, any genealogical education opportunity available.
- Friday’s Favorites (Last Friday of the Month) – My favorite genealogy things, i.e. books, websites, tools, software, ect.
- Saturday’s Updates – A weekly update of genealogy tasks or projects from the previous week.
- Motivational Monday (Last Monday of the Month) – Genealogy things that keep me motiviated that I hope will motivate you too.
So, I will be starting this editorial calendar today but I will be skipping my monthly aspirations for this month. I hope you like this calendar. What do you think about an Editorial Calendar? Comment and let me know.
At the end of May, I posted a list of some goals that I had wanted to keep track of. I was originally just going to update that post now, but I have decided that I will instead make it a monthly series. I will try to post my monthly aspirations as close to the first of the month as possible. So, to read what I posted in my original “goals” post, you can go here. I have also decided to add a few catagories to keep my monthly aspirations more organized.
So, here is my update of last May’s goals.
- Project Sanchez – When I first started this, I ended up working on my Grandmother’s gardening journal first. I already had the page protectors and the binder to put them in so I just went a head and did it. It is now safe and sound and in as best a chronological order as I can get it. I love it. It gives me a peek into a side of my grandmother that I had only heard of. She was very smart and very scientific when it came to her plants. I am working on getting my mom’s permission to publish the gardening journal here, but we will see how that turns out. I did start on my mom’s sanchez research and started organizing it. It is definatley going to be a difficult task, but I can definately get it done.
- Visiting So. Califonria Genealogical Society – I had a great time at the library! I am planning on going back this Saturday. I recently found out that they are open on some Saturday and Sundays. Woo Hoo!!! I will be visting the library more often now too!
- Sanchez Family Reunion – Well this event has blossomed into a bit larger event than I originally expected. So far we have 35 people coming. We have the facility booked (my sister’s house) and we are starting to get RSVP’s in too. We have planned a photo scanning station, kids arts and crafts station, kareoke and possibly some musically inclined family members performing (me included). We still need to figure out which entre the hostesses (my sisters, mom and I) are going to serve and we need a final count about a week before the reunion. So far, so good.
- RESEARCH – Sanchez: Continue to make headway on my Project Sanchez. I want to try to get through one box at least. Luna: Continue to research the Mexican migration trails from Central Mexico to Texas to California, continue to research migrant farm workers of the 1930’s and 194o’s.
- ORGANIZATION – Work on organizing the scanned photos that I have already in my computer. This will also be helpful for the reunion too.
- EDUCATION – Make a list of my genealogy library and a list of the books I want to add to my genealogy library.
- WRITING – Blog: Continue participating in the 31 weeks to a better genealogy blog challenge. Post something every other day. Genealogy: Start writing a possible submission for the NGS’ Family History Writing Contest.
- OTHER – I have been toying with the idea of making some changes to the way my blog looks. By the end of this month, I want to make a final decision on whether or not to do this and what changes I want to make. Any suggestion of how you would like My Genealogy Obsession blog to look??? All comments will be read and responded to!
So, this is what I aspire to complete this month. What are your plans?
Have a great day!!