I know that I’m late with this posting, but Tonia Kendrick at Tonia’s Roots has started a series called 31 Weeks to a Better Genealogy Blog. I have participated in one here and there and decided to participate in this posting. On September 18th Tonia post dealt with developing an Editorial Calendar. She stated that by developing an editorial calendar, it would help by better organizing my time and that I would not wonder what I am going to write about. I also agree with Tonia in that the editorial calendar could give consistency to my blog.
Although Tonia uses a spreadsheet to keep track of her editorial calendar, I am more of a visual-type of girl. I just found online a blank calendar page. I printed it out and wrote my blog information on it along with the publishing schedule of posts that I would like to write about including my weekly and monthly series as well.
So here is my editorial calendar:
As you can see, I have postings that will be on a certain days every week, while the others posts are monthly postings. I did make a few changes from what I have been doing. For example, I will still be doing my Monthly Asiprations near the first of the month, but I decided to post my updates weekly instead of at the end of the month. This is because I felt that my monthly udates were getting long. In fact, the last one had to be cut into two different posts. So I felt that by making my updates at the end of the week (Saturdays), it wouldn’t be so long of a post.
Here is a desciption of what I will be writing about:
- Monthly Aspirations (1st Sunday of the Month) – My genealogy goals for the upcoming month.
- Military Monday (2nd Monday of the Month) – Stories of my military ancestors and any military story related to genealogy.
- Thankful Tuesday (Every Tuesday) – All things I am thankful for including genealogy items.
- Wordless Wednesday (3rd Wednesday of the Month) – Photo posting only of my ancestors with a short description of who is in the picture.
- Thursday’s Teachings (2nd Thursday of the Month) – All things genealogy edcation related. This includes my genealogy education goals, what I have already completed, and highlighting one at a time, any genealogical education opportunity available.
- Friday’s Favorites (Last Friday of the Month) – My favorite genealogy things, i.e. books, websites, tools, software, ect.
- Saturday’s Updates – A weekly update of genealogy tasks or projects from the previous week.
- Motivational Monday (Last Monday of the Month) – Genealogy things that keep me motiviated that I hope will motivate you too.
So, I will be starting this editorial calendar today but I will be skipping my monthly aspirations for this month. I hope you like this calendar. What do you think about an Editorial Calendar? Comment and let me know.